The links on this page will help you in your search for financial aid. Please note that a listing in this directory does not necessarily mean that the Maine Community Foundation endorses that resource. Research all organizations thoroughly and be sure the services are legitimate.
(You can download a printable copy of the information on this page here.)
Scholarship Search Sites
- Fastweb is a free scholarship search website that offers a scholarship matching service and information on other financial aid resources.
- Scholarship America provides more than 100 resources to search for a school, handle financial aid, and find scholarship information.
- Scholarships.com is a free scholarship and college search site.
Other Financial Aid Resources
- Sallie Mae provides college loans and offers tools for college planning. Planning for college resources at the site include calculators for the cost of education, scholarship links, application advice and links, as well as information on how to finance an education through a combination of loans, scholarships, and grants from colleges.
- The College Savings Plan Network is an information source for state-operated 529 college savings programs. These programs, directed by nonprofit state organizations, offer tax benefits to families.
- Eastern Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators is a professional organization that offers guidance and links to help navigate the financial aid process.
- Federal Student Aid is the government site on financing higher education, including information on loan payback and consolidation.
- Fin Aid is a free resource for learning about the different types of parent and student loans available.
- Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) provides free information on planning and paying for college, career preparation, and a Maine-based scholarship search program.
- The Gauvin County Scholarship Fund of the Aroostook Aspirations Initiative offers a $1,000 scholarship for a senior in each of the 16 high schools in Aroostook County, for up to four years. The scholarship committee gives priority to first-generation and/or economically disadvantaged county youth who select one of the four colleges (Northern Maine Community College, Husson University, University of Maine at Fort Kent, University of Maine at Presque Isle) located in Aroostook County, allowing them to stay in the county and possibly live at home to make the college experience more affordable.
- Maine Education Services (MES) offers free college planning materials, financial literacy tools, and career exploration support as well as information on college scholarships, financial aid, and student loans.
- NextGenForMe is the Section 529 savings plan administered by the Finance Authority of Maine (FAME).
- Paying for College, a service offered by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, offers a step-by-step guide to help you make informed financial decisions about paying for college.
- Saving for College offers information about 529 plans and how to save for college most effectively, gives answers to commonly asked 529 questions, and provides the latest news from the 529 industry.
- Student Guide to Financial Aid is the official government guide to federal grants, loans, and work-study.
- KnowHow2Go, offered by the American Council on Education and the Lumina Foundation for Education, provides a four-step guide to help low-income students and those who are the first in their families to pursue higher education. KnowHow2Go also includes information on financial aid and links to other informative websites.
- The College Board provides online registration for the SAT and advanced placement (AP) exams. The site offers advice on college planning, college admission, financial aid, and enrollment, as well as tools for college readiness.
- College Tool Kit offers an extensive database of scholarships, online scholarship applications, and advice on the financial aid process.
- College View is designed to provide information to help you with your college search, financial aid, and the application process.
- Maine College Website Directory
- The U.S. Department of Education offers information to help identify colleges offering the desired program or degree in the desired location, plan financial aid packages, and apply for financial aid.