Total grant dollars awarded last cycle: $64,755
Maximum grant size: $7,500
Average grant size last cycle: $4,317
Application deadline: October 15
View recent grants from the Fund for Maine Land Conservation
The Fund for Maine Land Conservation seeks to support projects that encourage preservation of Maine’s land. This grant program has four objectives:
- Help preserve traditional uses of land,
- Provide for continued public access,
- Protect sensitive ecological areas,
- Promote greater appreciation of the environment.
This grant program does not provide support for land purchases, easements or other costs associated with those transactions. Projects that involve collaboration are strongly encouraged.
Types of Support
The Fund for Maine Land Conservation will award two types of grants
1. Project grants: provide support for new or expanded projects. Projects are activities with a clear start and end, with goals and objectives related to but not the same as the organization’s mission. This includes but is not limited to:
- Community outreach and stakeholder involvement,
- Field surveys or natural resources inventories,
- Volunteer stewardship training,
- Preliminary planning for large-scale conservation projects.
2. Organizational development grants: support activities that will improve operations and efficiency for land conservation organizations. This includes but is not limited to:
- Strategic planning with clearly defined goals or outcomes;
- Membership expansion;
- Board and staff training and development;
- System improvements (e.g. databases, financial, and geographic information systems;
- Partnerships and collaborations, including resources sharing and mergers.
Successful applicants for organizational development grants will include an explanation of how the proposed activities will improve or strengthen the organization.
The fund does not support:
- Land acquisition costs (fee, easement, option or transaction costs);
- Trail construction and associated infrastructure (e.g. parking, kiosks, signage);
- Capital improvements for the general organizational operations or equipment valued at more than $250;
- Capital campaigns or endowments and other activities designed to increase the capital or assets of an organization (e.g. fundraising communications and events);
- Ongoing operating costs including overhead, administrative costs, salaries of key staff not directly linked to the proposed project, and activities that are a normal part of the organization’s mission and have no clear start or ending dates;
- Lobbying or religious activities;
- Expenses that have already been incurred.
Eligible organizations include land trusts and other nonprofit and governmental entities based in the State of Maine whose mission is land conservation and/or watershed protection.
Applicants must be nonprofit, 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt organizations; public schools; public agencies working for the State of Maine or Indian tribal governments (and their political subdivisions), recognized by the Department of the Interior or have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization; public school or public agency (click here for more information on applying with a fiscal sponsor).
Complete the online grant application by clicking the link in the grant application box at the top right corner of this page. Online applications must be completed by 11:59 p.m. on October 15.
If you have questions regarding the Fund for Maine Land Conservation, please contact Maggie Drummond-Bahl, senior program officer, by e-mail or by phone at (207) 412-0839.